Monday, June 20, 2005

right under my nose.....

In the early 90's I went to Israel for 6 months to live on an a kibbutz. I had never lived outside of the US before. I was encouraged by my Hillel director to go - she knew I had gone off the Derech and this was one place to send a single girl to find her self (or a husband, whatever happens first). I loved it, despite the fact that I gained 3o pounds during my stay. It was all the fault of the elderly women of the kibbutz laundry, where I worked. Almost every day they would bring in cake & alchohol for a L'Chaim - another grandchild born, another engagement to celebrate, and everytime they toasted, they gave me that twinkly-eyed look of "oh I hope she finds a nice boy".

Little did they (or I) know that this nice Jewish boy would never surface during my stay in the Holy Land. It took many years (and toads) later to find my soulmate, a classmate of mine from high school and one of my brother's good friends. My husband likes to say he married his high school sweetheart, only 10(+) years later.

No comments: