Monday, December 26, 2005

ring of fire...


The last good movie I saw in the theatres was Walk the Line, with Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. It wasn't just good. It was stupendous. Phenominal. Inspiring. I just loved it. A perfect perfect marriage of incredible acting, wonderful script and just a plain interesting story about a man who reinvented his life. If you haven't seen this movie, please please run to your nearest box office and go see it. It will be a much more positive experience than most anything Hollywood has to office in the past few years. Heck, I even drove my office nuts by playing the music on the www.johnnycash.com website all day long for two days. Now everyone thinks I am a country music fan. I don't care. I just like good music.

Ok, now to talk about the last movie I saw: King Kong. I was SO looking forward to this, the next Peter Jackson baby, created by the man who made the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. I love those movies, despite the fact that I don't like Sci-Fi/fantasy/StarTrek/Star Wars snore-a-thons. When I heard that this genious of a man was making another movie, I was SURE it was going to be a brilliant as the Lord movies. On Christmas day, what else do we Jews have to do except go to the movies? Amongst the plethora of films to see, the only one my husband & I agreed on was King Kong. What other time would we have a chance to see this 3+ hours movie?

I am sad to say that I was disappointed at this film. The acting was of course good with Naomi Watts & Adriene Brody, and for the first 1.5 hours it was a wonderful adventure story on a very spooky seemingly deserted island. But the film was heavy with the computer generated images (CGI), especially the creepy-crawly creatures and seemed to spend a lot of time concentrating on them. It's as if production had taken their thinking caps off and kept pressing the "easy" button. I'm sad to say I didn't love the movie. Thank G-d we caught the movie early in the day and paid the reduced rates for tickets.

Happy Chanukah!

No comments: