Monday, August 29, 2005

hot potato

It is Monday night and in my fridge is currently a large Ziploc baggie of homemade baked cubed sweet potatoes.  Ordinarily, this delicious side dish (who am I kidding…meal) would be snarfed down by Shabbos morning, by yours truly.  My wonderful husband, the chef in the family, lovingly makes them for me several times a month for Friday night dinner.  Almost nothing makes me happier than these potatoes, which is seasoned with cinnamon, a little cayenne pepper, olive oil and salt.  It’s like eating candy…..ok, candy with fiber.  Nevertheless, any leftovers from Friday night are saved for Shabbos morning…and if it so happens that I don’t go to shul, I eat the remainder whilst reading the newspaper.  I don’t even bother getting a plate.  I just dig into my bag of goodness – one hand dirty with cinnamon crumbs, the other black with newspaper stains. Martha Stewart would be so proud.

This past Friday night, I could barely eat a few bites of this delicacy.  I’ve been on a bunch of new drugs since the retrieval – and they cause an encyclopedia of symptoms, including mimicking the symptoms of pregnancy (and none of them causing me to glow!!).  I am hoping that with the help of my alternative medicine connections, I can figure out how to feel better rather than add one more drug.

One more thing, the embryo transfer is scheduled for tomorrow morning.  It’s the pinnacle of a very long journey.  I’m finally getting very nervous.  If G-d willing, the embryos have survived the 5-6 day waiting period since fertilization, and they implant themselves successfully, then we start what is called 2WW or dreadfully called in the infertility world as the TWO WEEK WAIT.  It is then we will find out if all of our hard work (and I’m including myself, dear husband, the doctor, and nurses) have paid off.  It’s pretty much in G-d’s hands.  I guess I can only pray for Hashem to provide whatever is supposed to happen.  I just hope it’s the answer we are looking for….

No comments: